Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Just Can't

I just... I can't (sighs)
(Closes her eyes, takes a deep breath and begins again)
There are days when I just can't take it
I. Just. Can't.
Oh, sure
Technically
I can vote
And wear pants
And go to school
Technically
I can sue
For discrimination
I can call the police
For help
Technically
But a girl was sent home
From prom
Because men were looking at her
They blamed the girl
For instigating impure thoughts
While following dress code
Walking on legs she was born with
(sighs again)
What does that mean for the rest of us?
One girl in one town at one dance
Who. Just. Can't. Be.
There is at least one girl
In every town
Like her
Like me
But technically
Women have equality now
And feminists have no reason
To bitch
And rape jokes are just
Jokes
Especially when told
By silly girls acting slutty
On stage
Why would anyone take that
Silly. Girl.
Seriously?
We just can't!
Get a sense of humor
It doesn't mean anything
Look how equal we are
Getting away with rape jokes
(Lets out a short, bitter laugh)
This must be
What Equality looks like
Women joking
About rape
The way men joke
About rape
Why aren't you celebrating?
I just can't


No comments:

Post a Comment